Maxus client, Echuca Historical Society has a string of achievements, including MAP accreditation in 2014. They recently celebrated the sesquicentenary of their premises, the former Police Station and Cell complex on Dickson Street, together with policing since 1867 on the one location, with an exhibition “Upholding the Right”. For further information about their activities, refer to the article in the Feb-March 2017 issue of History News, p5.
On April 4, Norma Tovey and Pam Millist were invited to attend the launch of the JHC Collections Online at the Jewish Holocaust Centre (JHC). About 100 people attended to hear the addresses by guest speaker – Professor Andrew Markus – Pratt Foundation Research Professor of Jewish Civilisation and Jayne Josem – Curator and Head of Collections.
This was an opportunity to acknowledge the culmination of about 3 years of collaborative work by the Project Manager together with the Museum Curator, the Archivist and the JHC team with Maxus on the deployment and development of their Presto for DB/TextWorks installation.
You may not have caught up with this recently coined term GLAM which is used to describe the phenomenon of the increasing convergence of the collections of the Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museum (including Historical Societies) sectors. This trend is leading to increasing collaboration and activities to make their combined collections accessible to the world via the internet.
Over many years, Maxus Australia has assisted a significant number of users in the GLAM sectors to catalogue and increase access to the valuable knowledge and resources available using Inmagic software over many years.
They range in size from non-profit local collections mainly run by volunteers to installations supported by, for example, local councils or other better funded bodies, which enable their collection/s to be published and easily searchable using Inmagic’s internet-enabled software such as Web Publisher Pro or Presto.
DB/TextWorks® or DB/TextWorks for SQL users often do not realise that they can use F3 or use the Browse Choices icon to browse through the contents of the fields in your textbases in the query screen or to check the values of a validation list when editing or adding records. The F3 or ‘Browse Choices’ icon displays a list of items that you may want to type or paste in a box. The content of the list depends on context.
Presto 4.5 has been released. New features in this version include:
- A new RSS Content Type (not available in Presto for DB/TextWorks)
- Email enhancements
- Watermarks for Inmages
- Cart contents retained across sessions
Special Offer and New Conditions of use for Maxus Helpdesk in 2016
During 2016 we have a special offer to customers on current software maintenance:
4 free 15 minutes call credits equivalent to the value of 1 hour or $165, to use any time from now to the end of 2016. These credits are in addition to the free support for software issues covered by your annual maintenance. You can use these credits to obtain quick answers to consulting queries (up to 15 minutes each), or you can add them together for one longer session. (If on site attendance is required, travel costs may be charged.)
All helpdesk calls are free to those on current maintenance.
Inmagic DB/TextWorks v15.0 has just been released with exciting new features including:
- New Field Types – Rich Text and Call Number.
- Substitution Lists now supported in additional Field Types : Call Number, Code, Image, Link, and Number.
- Improved text extraction for PDF files
The first meeting for the year of the Melbourne Inmagic User Group will be held at The Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) on Tuesday 21 April 2015. The Cunningham Library provides an information service for ACER staff, Library members & ACER Institute students, as well as producing a number of databases such as the Australian Education Index / A+ Education, The Australasian Education Directory, BOLDE, IDP Database of Research in International Education, Learning Ground, EdResearch Online & The Education Research Theses database.
If you missed Inmagic’s January webinar you can still see a special preview of the newest release in the Inmagic Genie family: GeniePlus, with capabilities including:
- Comprehensive serials control with e-resource management
- Integrated acquisitions with cost tracking and budgetary control
- True authority control with full thesauri capabilities
- Flexible and powerful UI for expansive system configuration
- On the fly reporting to Excel and PDF – system wide
- A Unicode foundation for multilingual access
- And new optional capabilities for multi-branch support
Inmagic has now released version 4.4 of Presto, which again incorporates some terrific new features and fixes:
• Presto now allows you to include more than one field in a Search box, eg Author, Corporate Author, Statement of Responsibility in the “Authors” box, or Subjects, Descriptors, Abstract in a “Keywords” box
• You can show or hide the Boolean controls (AND/OR/Not) between boxes
• When a new term is added to a Value List, you can provide the option to “Update the list” as you can in TextWorks
• And more … Read More